- What is Mailman?
- Who has access to Mailman?
- How do I create a mailing list?
- How do I access my Mailman mailing list?
- What is ‘Content Filtering’?
- Mailman tips and tricks
What is Mailman?
Mailman is a software application for managing electronic mailing lists, such as monthly newsletter emails.
Who has access to Mailman?
Mailman is available to anyone with Website Hosting services. Mailman is not supported in Classic hosting services. If you have Classic domain hosting and would like to use this feature, you may want to consider migrating to our Website Hosting services. Please contact Cruzio for more information.
How do I create a mailing list?
- Log in to your domain’s Admin Control Panel.
- Select a domain. If you are on host 6 or 7, find your domain by first clicking Domains under the Main Menu in the upper left corner.If you do not know what host number you are on, after you log into your control panel, look at the URL at the top of your browser. You will see it start with
https://hostfollowed by a number. That is the host number you are on.
- If you are on host 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, select the Mail icon in the Services section. Then click the mailing lists tab towards the top of the page.If you are on host 6 or 7, click the mailing lists button in the Mail section.
- Click the Add New mailing list button in the Tools section.
- Fill out the information as requested and click OK to save.
Once created, you can add email addresses to your mailing list by clicking on your mailing list’s name and clicking the Add New Member button.
How do I access my Mailman mailing list?
To access the mailing list to make changes to it and its settings, go to
yourdomain is the name of your domain and
yourlistname is the name you gave your mailing list when you first created it.
What is ‘Content Filtering’?
Content Filtering is a feature of Mailman located in the General Options under Configuration Categories. It allows the administrator of the list to filter out certain types of attachments or texts. An example of this is filtering out any attachments with the extension .exe or .jpg. Those attachments are simply excluded from the mailing list.
Mailman tips and tricks
How can I stop filtering out attachments to my mailing list?
Click the Content Filtering category, then look in the ‘Remove messages attachments that don’t have a matching content type’ section. By default, three content types are listed: multipart/mixed, multipart/alternative, text/plain. By removing these content types from this section, you will be able to send your mailing list to all email programs. Click Submit Your Changes at the bottom of the page to save changes.
How do I disable ‘text/html to plain text’ conversion?
Click on the Content Filtering category, then look in the ‘Should Mailman convert text/html parts to plain text?’ section. Select No, and then click Submit Your Changes.
How do I remove the footer that has been added as an attachment in my mailing list?
Click the ‘Non-Digest options’, then look in the ‘Footer added to mail sent to regular list members’ section. Delete what is in the field provided. Click Submit Your Changes.
This document was assisted by the input of local computer expert Bill Muench.
Mailman support mailing lists: http://www.list.org/lists.html
Mailman List Administrator’s Guide: http://lists.ucla.edu/docs/manager.html