Great news from Cabrillo College! Some really valuable opportunities for local high school students. Here’s the press release from John Graulty, the Dean of Visual, Applied, & Performing Arts at Cabrillo:
Cabrillo College is thrilled to be offering a major new initiative for high school students interested in concurrently enrolling in Cabrillo College courses. The Cabrillo College Division of Visual, Applied, and Performing Arts, in particular, has greatly expanded its visual and performing arts offerings at the College’s Watsonville Center this coming spring term, 2015, and has scheduled these courses at times that are especially “high school student friendly”!
And, best news ever.
Cabrillo College is waiving tuition fees for all high school students in the county starting in spring 2015!
[There are] nine new Cabrillo Watsonville arts courses in a wide variety of visual, performing, and digital media arts disciplines.
Registration for HS students opened Jan 5th and remains open through Jan 23rd. Classes start January 26th!
Benefits of this new program for high school students:
• Affordable! All tuition fees waived for all high school students
in the county at all Cabrillo campuses! (Students must still pay the
mandatory student fees, typically totaling approximately $30-$35.)
• Many new visual and performing arts courses never before offered
in Watsonville – and at times that work well for concurrently enrolled high
• PVUSD HS students earn 3.33 high school units for every 1 college
• Earn college credit and accumulate units transferrable to CSUs and
UCs while still in HS!
• Field trips anticipated for students to visit the state-of-the art
new arts complex at the Aptos Campus
• Students will develop creative skill sets that are in high demand
by employers in the new creative economy!
• Students will have fun, learn, and get “hooked” on college while
still in HS!
Steps students need to take for Concurrent Enrollment:
• Complete the online application
• Complete online orientation *Recommended, but not required for all
arts courses needed*
• Complete assessment *Recommended, but not required for all arts
• Submit concurrent enrollment form to Admissions & Records with a
photo ID and all required signatures by EACH course the student wishes to
• Tuition will be waived for .25 to 11 units, but students must pay
the mandatory student fees, typically totaling approximately $30-$35. If a
student exceeds the 11 unit maximum registration, they must pay for all
units, including those within the 11 unit max.
• Apply for Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver (BOGW) if taking over 11
units and pay mandatory student fees.
*None of the arts courses require assessment or online orientation, but
completing Cabrillo’s online orientation, the assessment for math, English,
or ESL, and beginning an education plan in Student Planning (WebAdvisor) is
recommended and encouraged.
The most recent versions of the English and Spanish versions of the
Concurrent Enrollment Form are attached and available on the forms page of
the Cabrillo College Admissions & Records website at this link: